Ambush fall as injuries take their toll

St. Charles, Missouri (Feb. 6, 2021) – The weather outside was frightful, and if you were the St. Louis Ambush, the game was anything but delightful.

Following a heartbreaking loss on Friday night, the Ambush came back out looking for revenge against the Ontario Fury. Unfortunately, they would have to try to do so without midfielder Lucas Almeida, who had emergency appendix removal surgery on Saturday. Added in with the additional injuries that the Ambush were already facing heading into the game, it was nothing short of an uphill battle from the opening whistle. Due to either injury, illness, or quarantine procedures, the Ambush were missing 12 players heading into game-time.

And they were outplayed in all phases of the game, as the Fury overwhelmed the Ambush 10-4.

The loss drops the Ambush to 4-5, while the Fury improve to 2-0.

After dominating on Friday night, Franck Tayou scored the first goal of the game for the Fury at the 14:32 in the first quarter. Vadim Cojocov notched an unassisted goal of his own at the 10:18 mark to tie it up for St. Louis. But Tayou would not be denied as he netted his second goal off the night off an assist from Juan Carlos Gonzalez to make it 2-1 Fury.

And Ontario wouldn’t let up.

Justin Stinson scored a goal with less than two minutes to go in the first quarter off an assist from Maicon De Abreu to make it 3-1 Fury after just one quarter.

Howard Miller, Jr., who was the key offensive playmaker on Friday night, suffered an injury at the 10:38 mark into the second quarter after being hip-checked into the wall. Miller, Jr. would later return to the game.

Until then, however, the Ambush began to play for him, as at the 5:16 mark, Corey Adamson fired a shot towards the right side of the net to make it a one-goal game, a score which remained that way for the remainder of the half.

Coming out of the half, the injury bug reared its ugly face yet again on the Ambush, as Felipe Silva went down with a knee injury. Not too long after, the Ambush were able to tie the game at the 12:00 minute mark after a goal from JT Thomas off an assist from Magui Souza. But the tie game wouldn’t last long as the Fury scored off a goal from Jorge Deleon at the 8:53 mark to make it 4-3 Ontario followed by a goal from Gonzalez shortly thereafter to make it a 5-3 lead.

And it kept getting worse.

With 3:05 left in the third, Deleon scored yet again to make it 6-3, this time off an assist from Juan Topete, followed by a Stinson goal to make it 7-3.

As the game wore on, it became apparent that injuries and illnesses that have plagued the Ambush all season truly took their toll on the team. The team was just outplayed more so on Saturday than they had been nearly all season long.

Tayou scored again at the 6:48 mark to make it 8-3 Fury.

Despite Adamson scoring his second of the night to make it 8-4 with less than five minutes to play, the deficit was just too much to overcome for the Ambush. Two more late goals by the Fury soon made it 10-4 Ontario, which ended up being the final score of the evening.

The Ambush will head on the road, and return home for a two-game series against the San Diego Sockers on Friday, February 26 at 7:35 p.m. CST and Sunday, February 28 at 3:05 p.m. CST at the Axius Field at the Family Arena.

Tickets for upcoming home games are available at the Family Arena box office or online at You can also watch Ambush games online at Facebook Live PPV.

(Photo Credit: Lemon Sunshine Photography)

Leave a Reply